Diagnostic Imaging Service
Plain film x-ray, diagnostic ultrasound and Echocardiogram services are now available at Ponteland Road and Battle Hill Health Centres for direct access referrals by local GPs. This development:
- Improves access for patients and increases patient choice
- Helps to ensure, in line with National Policy, that services are responsive, patient focused and easily accessible
- Facilitates the management of episodes of care wholly in a primary care setting
- Increases opportunities to meet local and national targets in non-elective admissions to secondary care
- Increases opportunities for developing other new services
- Will enhance the quality of current service delivery.
The state of the art x-ray facilities use the latest digital equipment. The highly trained, experienced radiographic team will provide imaging in line with the Royal College of Radiologists referral guidelines ‘Making the best use of clinical radiology services – 6th edition’. This front line diagnostic service is fully supported through direct links to Consultant Radiologists and Reporting Radiographers based at Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust utilising electronic image transfer. Studies are formally reported by a Consultant Radiologist, or by a practitioner to whom responsibility for reporting is appropriately delegated. The report will be sent to you in the usual way.
The X-ray services at each Health Centre available for direct GP access are:
- Ponteland Road Health Centre: Monday to Friday: 9am to 1pm and Saturday 9am to 12pm
- Battle Hill Health Centre: Monday to Friday 2pm to 6pm and Saturday 1pm to 4pm
We offer an array of ultrasound investigations performed by qualified experienced sonographers on high specification equipment.
Most referrals will be accommodated on site with the exception of:-
Urgent 2WW (Refer directly to specialist centre according to current protocols)
Small parts i.e. axilla, groins, hernia
Paediatrics except for renal
Examinations will be reported on the same day, to ensure results are available for the referring clinician in the shortest possible time, and faxed to you.