This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.




We have 2 NHS GP led Walk In Centres in the North East.  These are for minor injuries and illnesses.  They are both open 8am-8pm 365 days a year.  These are based in North Tyneside and Newcastle Upon Tyne. 

Battle Hill Health Centre, (Belmont Close, Battle Hill, NE28 9DX, Tel:  0191 295 8520)

Ponteland Road Health Centre, (169 Ponteland Road, NE5 3AE Tel:  0191 271 9030)


What can be seen in the Walk In Centre?

Minor illnesses such as:

  • Coughs and colds, fever, headaches and dizziness
  • Minor ear, nose and throat complaints
  • Minor eye problems eg conjunctivitis
  • Stomach upsets, indigestion, constipation
  • New minor skin complaints
  • Urine infections, thrush

Minor injuries such as:

  • Superficial cuts, abrasions, and new dressings of wounds
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Insect or animal bites
  • Minor head injuries
  • New muscle or joint injury, eg strains and sprains, back pain, tendonitis, fractured wrists

For lifestyle/health promotion such as:

  • Emergency contraception
  • Pregnancy testing and advice
  • Chlamydia screening and condom distribution


The Walk In Centre is NOT for:

More than minor illness or minor injury including

  • Serious medical emergencies
  • Serious head injuries, or loss of consciousness
  • Accidental or deliberate overdose of drugs or ingestion of poisons
  • Severe blood loss
  • Severe allergic reactions
  • Injury as a result of road traffic accidents
  • Asthma attacks or wheezy chests, especially in children

You should attend the Emergency Department for these

  • Chemical or traumatic eye injuries

Contact Eye Casualty or Emergency Department

  • Long term conditions and more than minor illness
  • Second opinions
  • Repeat prescriptions
  • Mental health concerns
  • Menstrual problems
  • Drug or alcohol addiction

Contact your own GP for help with these problems

  • Pregnancy related problems

Contact your midwife

  • All dental problems

Contact your dentist

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website